How do I get an ITIN?

To get an ITIN, you need to file Form W-7 along with your federal tax return. As part of the application, you will have to provide proof of identity, using original copies of your documents (most often a passport and birth certificate). You can either mail these documents to the IRS, or apply in person through the IRS or through a "Certified Acceptance Agent," who can examine and validate the authenticity of your documents on behalf of the IRS. It is often beneficial to apply in person so that you do not need to mail in your original documents.
GetYourRefund does not currently offer support for obtaining an ITIN. Please use our VITA Location Finder to find an in-person site near you. Note that not all in-person sites can help with applying and renewing an ITIN. We recommend contacting the office directly to confirm.

How helpful was this answer?