I’m 19-24, should I file a tax return?

Most tax benefits—including the Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, and stimulus payments—are only available to individuals who cannot be claimed as a dependent on another person's tax return. Most individuals who are full-time students between the ages of 19-24 are someone else's dependent (typically their parent or guardian)—unless they can prove that they pay for over half of their living expenses including housing, food, medical/dental, and personal expenses.
Generally, if you are between the ages of 19 and 24 you should file your own tax return if you are not a full-time student and you made over $4,700 in the tax year.
Even if you can be claimed on another person's tax return, you may still benefit from filing a tax return if you had a job and taxes were withheld from your paycheck. When filing a return to claim any unused withholdings, make sure to indicate you can be claimed on someone else's tax return.

How helpful was this answer?